When I built my first course, I signed up for Thinkific not knowing entirely what to expect. I was figuring everything out as I went, and I knew that the tech was a big deal.
Fortunately, Thinkific was an amazing choice!
I WAS ABLE TO SETUP MY FIRST COURSE IN THINKIFIC, NAVIGATE THE PLATFORM AND SELF-TEACH MYSELF ON ALL OF THE FEATURES IN A MATTER OF HOURS.
Even better? The final course looks AWESOME. I was able to focus my energy and love into the course material, yet still have everything on Thinkific’s end look highly customized and professional.
IF YOU’RE READY TO SETUP YOUR FIRST COURSE IN THINKIFIC, HERE’S MY EASY TO FOLLOW GUIDE ON HOW TO GET STARTED!
In just 5 simple steps, you can have your course ready for sales!
If you haven’t yet got a Thinkific account, click here to get a FREE month of the Business plan.
P.S. if you want an extended trial, send me an email BEFORE you create your account, and I’ll hook you up with an exclusive deal.
STEP 1: APPLY YOUR BRAND
Thinkific has fairly launched its brand-new site builder, which is super snazzy, easy to use and allows for a decent amount of customization. As a plug-n-play type of system, you won’t get the same level of customization as a custom landing page through your own website domain. However, you can still produce a cohesive, and well converting, sales page for your course.
Once you’ve created your Thinkific account, the FIRST thing you’ll want to do is customize it to your business brand! Navigate to “Design Your Site” and select “Themes”. Pick a theme (don’t overthink it, they’re all great!). Then click “build your site” and “theme settings”. From there you can apply your brand colors, select your typography and upload a favicon.
STEP 2: CREATE YOUR HOMEPAGE
While still in the site-builder, navigate to “Pages” > “Home Page”. This is the page your audience will see if the navigate to https://[YOURNAME].thinkific.com
To keep things simple, I recommend you do the following:
- Customize the Header to include your logo
- Start with a “Banner” and show one of your brand photos.
- Add a Text (with CTA) module and share your elevator pitch/business introduction statement.
- Add another Banner module OR a Text & Media to share a short bio & picture of you!
- Finish with a Call To Action – invite your audience to learn about your course. Come back later and make sure the button navigates to your course landing page (once setup).
Of course, you can add lots more ‘meat’ to this page – but I think this provides a great foundation, and prvides enough information to feel ‘finished’ without being a lot of work!
STEP 3: UPLOAD YOUR COURSE CONTENT
Now you’re ready to create your first course! Navigate to “manage learning content” > “courses” and click “Create new course”.
You can choose a Thinkific course template to help you get some initial structure/customized tips to get your course started.
You should now be in the course-builder. The curriculum tab is where you build out your course content. Create chapters (or modules) to break down the lessons. You can individually add videos, files, text, etc to each chapter, or utilize the bulk importer to quickly upload all of your course material.
STEP 4: CHANGE THE COURSE SETTINGS
Here are 5 things you’ll want to do now you’ve got your course content ready. First navigate to “settings” in the course builder.
1. Add a course subtitle – something short and catchy that helps describe the course.
2. Add the estimated time to complete – this helps manage student expectations for their course commitment.
3. Upload a course image – this is THE graphic for your course, so make it count! I suggest using Canva to make a custom 500 x 280px graphic. Here’s an example for you:
4. Change the SEO settings – add an SEO title, description and course keywords to help your course appear in search engine results.
5. Finally, set your price! Thinkific allows you to offer
- One-time payment
- Subscription (recurring monthly payment)
- Payment plan (the course price split over a few payments).
STEP 5: CREATE YOUR COURSE LANDING PAGE
Now you’ve got your course content added, you are ready to create a sales page for your course.
Navigate back to the site builder, click “courses” and select your course.
Thinkific has some pretty nifty quick modules you can add:
- Course Curriculum. This shows all of your chapters (modules), plus the title of each lesson in that chapter. It provides a great overview of the breakdown to potential students.
- Course Reviews (or Testimonials). When students leave a review via Thinkific, you can have these display on your sales page. Alternatively, use the testimonial feature if you want to manually add your own reviews.
- Instructor Bios
- Pricing Options
NOW YOU’RE READY TO LAUNCH YOUR FIRST COURSE ON THINKIFIC.
Create a course is a LOT of work. I’ve seen time and time again people underestimate the work that goes into creating an amazing course. All that hard work can pay off BIG time though (waking up to course sales is an addictive feeling!). If you’re feeling flustered by all the moving pieces, technology and automations – we need to hop on a call! I love helping my clients get their courses prepped for launch, so they can focus on what’s most important: creating the amazing content!
SCHEDULE A FREE 15-MINUTE CALL WITH ME